Friday, March 18, 2016

First story board

After an explosion of images in my mind and something that felt like a midnight epiphany two nights ago, I think I have finally come up with a sequence of my film opening that makes sense. I drew it on a piece of paper and I guess I could call this the fist rough draft of my story board. There are some shots that I think will be challenging, and I will definitely have to get very creative due to my lack of equipment, but if I obtain these images on my mind I think the scenes will look beautiful.  



As of now, the first image is going to be a very symmetrical, a Wes Anderson-type shot of the main character (Veronica) sitting on her desk. I want this shot to establish her. The design of the set on this scene is extremely important, I want to be very careful choosing all of the objects that will be placed around her. Her desk is going to be crowded but at the same time very organized. There will be a map of the world behind her handing on a wall, I want it to be pinned and threaded, showing that she has been studying her geography for quite some time. I think it would be interesting if she looked straight at the camera braking the fourth wall. Oliver Tate does this in "Submarine," and he creates intimacy with the viewer since the beginning on the film. I still have to meditate more about this decision. 

I think her desk and her work space are very important symbols. Veronica is allowing us inside her world, inside her most intimate space, the space where she plans he escape and daydreams about her life elsewhere. Objects like journals and coffee mugs will also be shown in this sequence. As I said in a previous scene I want to establish her with objects, with her most precious belongings. And for that I want a series of shots from above, like Wes Anderson does in my previous post (Objects) showing a journal, a book, the inside of a box, pictures, postcards, and finally the map, her most precious belonging.

I will continue to explain the rest of the story board in future posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment