Wednesday, April 6, 2016

After effects; entering lighthouse

This post is dedicated to my experience with After Effects. I really wanted to make Veronica's character to look like she lived inside a lighthouse. As I mentioned on a previous post, not only do I consider lighthouses to be extremely romantic and poetic, but a lighthouse would visually communicate the idea of being trapped, like a princess in the tower of a castle. Since I had prior knowledge using PhotoShop and After Effects, I was able to create this impression.

When one is familiar with the program, it is not very difficult to create this effect. Everything consists of layering images in the correct order. And then cropping and masking certain fragments of the images to control what portions are shown and when are they shown.

The first layer of the composition consists of an image I took of the clouds, this  layer created the sense that Veronica's room is located very high up.




The second layer of the composition is the video of Veronica inside her room, but I hid it to create the lighthouse on top. So on the image above, the lighthouse is my third layer, and I had to crop the window, where the video of Veronica is added. The image of the lighthouse is actually an image I took from the window located on the first floor, but I elongated it to make it look like the structure that is higher up.


Symmetry was a very big challenge, I had to make sure everything was balanced to make it look realistic. After layering the images, I unmasked the room scene and then I had to animate the whole composition to slowly go larger in scale, this effect made it look as if the camera was getting closer and closer inside of her bedroom.



Here is a video that I found very helpful when I had trouble arranging my layers and animating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment